Monday, February 8, 2010

Web 2.0 means always being ready to change

I've been writing a book review blog for the high school library off and on since 2008 using Edublogs.org. I really liked the site and found it simple to use; all in all, an easy way to share reviews of the new books I bought for the library.

About a year ago, Edublogs started inserting inline content link ads into all free blogs--without warning. True, they mentioned in the fine print that they might some day need to start advertising, and, true, these companies do need to be able to make a profit. The problem was they market themselves exclusively to the education world and they made this advertising change without warning. Now here's the problem with web 2.0 in education. Things change at the drop of the hat with technology, and when you're putting your work (or your students' work) in the hands of an outside company, they can suddenly do things with it that you don't want them to.

Last year, I became an Edublogs supporter to keep my blog ad-free. But now that it is time to renew, I've decided to migrate my blog over to Blogger. Is there any guarantee Blogger won't start using ads in the future. No. But that's the price I have to be willing to pay to use web 2.0 technologies. So in the very near future, my posts will become book reviews (since I want to keep the name I used on Edublogs...which was Edublogs). Sorry for any confusion this may cause. Just call it a teachable moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment